Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fourth of July weekend

In my opinion the Fourth of July is meant to be spent in Lake Powell. That is where I have spent the majority of them. Soaking up the sun and the heat and doing our own firework show. This year we had planned on going. We were only going for a few days because Troy had to be home to take a final on Tuesday. The closer it got the more I felt that we shouldn't go. It was never a bad feeling, just a feeling that we should skip out on Lake Powell this year. I couldn't stop thinking about it and I felt really unsettled until we made the decision not to go. I was super sad that we weren't going. Even more so when I found out all my sisters were going this year. We decided that we would go to Bear Lake with our own little family instead. We left on Friday afternoon, and when we where in Draper getting gas I got a call from my mom telling us that our small family vacation was turning into a big family vacation. The houseboat engines were having issues. My grandpa had driven to Lake Powell with my uncle to try to get everything fixed and make sure the boat was on the water. They both worked their guts out trying to fix it and have it ready for the family. While they were working on it the generator decided to break too. My poor grandpa was exhausted and felt so bad that the Lake Powell trip wasn't going to happen. Everybody was pretty bummed. Lake Powell is heaven on earth. It is hard to beat living on a houseboat for a week. The water and the sand and the scenery is perfect. But Bear Lake is pretty great too! I am so thankful that my grandparents have a cabin there and we get to enjoy it whenever we want. It is absolutely beautiful there. We ended up having a great time. I was glad that it ended being a big family vacation, and I was bummed when we had to leave early and everyone else stayed.


Friday

We stopped in Brigham City and got dinner with my mom and dad. Stopped at Walmart in Logan for groceries and were able to catch the end of the fireworks at the stadium. Got to Bear Lake pretty late. We were the only ones there that night and it was kind of spooky!





Poor Jensen had to wear pink sunglasses.


Saturday

We got up and had breakfast and then we went for super long ride on the ranger. We were caked in dirt by the time we got back. We had lunch and went down to the pool. The kids loved the new slide at the pool. Me not so much, especially when Jensen fell off the stairs and smacked his head on the cement. It was not very warm either. We stayed for a couple of hours and then went back to the cabin. All of my family except Dani got there on Saturday. Courtney and Cam and my grandparents too. That night we got Bear Lake shakes. Ideal Beach did fireworks and we watched them out on the deck. It was FREEZING and we were too far away for them to be good.

















Sunday was a pretty relaxed, lazy day. We played games and just hung out. We watched a Lake Powell home video from 1991. It was hilarious to see all of us almost 20 years ago. Made me glad that I quit perming my hair! We had a barbecue and made smores around the fire pit.
























Monday

Monday was a beach day. Still not very warm. It definitely didn't feel like July! We had fun playing volleyball and sitting on the beach. We had to head back home that night so Troy could study for his final. Another fun Bear Lake trip!























7 comments:

Lish Fish said...

Glad you still had a good time! I love Bear Lake!

Sarah said...

What the weird??? How come all these old comments popped up on here...??? Haha, anyway, it was so much fun to see you! I'm so glad you had a great time even though it wasn't in Lake Powell paradise :)

Lindsay and Mike said...

Looks like fun! Glad you were still able to have a good time even though you didn't get to go to Powell!

Anita said...

love all your fun trips to bear lake, your family is so cute.

brenda said...

I talked to your grandpa and we had a good talk about bear lake. I sure do think your family is the best!

Hickman Family said...

Oh my Tara, what cuties you have. It is fun to see how much they look like you!! I love the pink glasses....Jackson would pick those if he had a choice (kinda scary :)...ggod thing he likes cars and acts tuff, growls like a bear...all that. Fun pics.

Kimberly said...

Tara! I don't even know how I stumbled across your blog, but somehow between blog hopping I found it. Looks like you are doing great. Your kids are adorable!!! It seems like the Aspen Salon days were so long ago!