It has been a little over four months since Reese had her cochlear implant activated, and I have had quite a few people asking me how Reese is doing. I decided that I needed to write down some of the things she has been doing. This will probably be really long so I am sorry but this is so I can remember all of this and so she can look back eventually and see her progress. Reese responds to pretty much all sounds now. It has been a awesome experience that I can't even begin to explain. A year ago she didn't respond to any type of sound at all. One of her therapist came over on Wednesday and when she knocked on the door Reese went to the door. That was exciting because she realized what a knock on the door meant. She has also become quite the little dancer. Anytime she hears music she starts dancing. She makes so much noise and even though sometimes it can drive ya crazy it is one of the best sounds in the whole world. She says mom and mama ALL day long. She loves to growl. If you roar or growl at her she will do it right back to you. She likes to sing in her high voice also. If we hide our cell phones and have the alarm go off she will search for it. We have realized what a chore it is to keep track of her implant and to make sure it is working correctly. Two year olds can reek havoc on electronic devices. She has chewed on a few of the parts and she really likes to take it apart when we aren't looking. We have had to order new parts already. Luckily it has a three year warranty so we haven't had to pay for anything yet. I would have to say though that for the most part she loves being able to hear. Troy was talking on the phone a few weeks ago and she was being really noisy so he pulled the magnetic piece off of her head to make her be quite. Mean I know but sometimes (like in Sacrament) this is the only way to make her be quite. Anyways she found the coil and stuck it right back on her head. I will see her doing this during the day when it falls off. It always makes me smile because it reminds me that we did make the right choice for her. Sometimes it seems like her progress plateaus, but then we are reminded that she has only been hearing for four months. She is starting from scratch so she is learning something new everyday. She has really been such a blessing in our lives. I would say that I am not a very patient person but Reese has given me the opportunity to become a little more that way. I am thankful also for the great therapists that we have teaching Reese. She has speech therapy two times a month, Listening therapy every other week, and Amanda from the School for the Deaf and Blind who comes every week. They are helping Troy and I soooo much. One of them reminded me the other day that the main responsibility that we have as her parents is exposure. To talk to her all the time and to let her hear everything possible. I have been feeling overwhelmed with all the "things" that we need to be teaching her so I really needed to hear that. She is picking up on sign language pretty well. That is a subject that I am torn on. There are so many different opinions out there and I have realized that we have to do what we feel is best for our daughter. I want her to learn sign language, but I know that our purpose in getting the implant was for her to become completely verbal. She was born to a family that can hear and I don't ever want her to separate herself from us. She has bad ears, I have bad eyes, Troy has a bad mouth haha, and Kenadee has her weaknesses too. None of us are perfect but that is what will bring us together as a family. I hope that we always build each other up and accept each other as we are. Kenadee loves her little sister so much. I am thankful that Reese has Kenadee for a big sister because I know that she will always lookout for Reese and she will help Reese to know that she is perfectly normal. Reese will be two next week and I can't believe how far she has come. There is a long road ahead but I know that she can do it. Go Reese!
21 comments:
She is SO dang cute, Tara. I'm glad things are going well!
Tara, you are amazing. Reese is beautiful and doing soo well..I know that is because of you and Troy! Incredible. You gave me chills.
I love hearing how Reese is doing. You and Troy are such GREAT parents. I love all the Pictures too.
Reese is so lucky to have you and Troy! I love Reese soooooooooo much!!!! She makes my day every time I see her!
Thanks for the update! I am glad she is doing so well, she is blessed to have such a great mom and dad!!
Hey Tara! This is Janese Hansen Pearson. I don't really know how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did. Your family is so dang cute! Your girls are gorgeous! Your post was very touching. Reese is a very special little angel. You have to wonder why some of us are given these physical trials. It's not always easy, but with lots of love and encouragement, she will get through the hard times. You know I have cerebral palsy and it has not been the easiest trial that I have had to deal with in my life, but I feel blessed to have such a wonderful husband and three precious children. They are what gets me through my trial. I don't really know why I am rambling on about this, but I just hope I can give you some kind of encouragement! I have always thought that you were such a very sweet person and by your blog, it looks like you are an amazing mom! Also, congrats on your new baby! That is so exciting. I guess this is a little more than just a comment! Sorry!
I am so happy she is doing so well, and that you guys have been able to take all the good from the situation! That is not very easy to do sometimes. She is SO pretty and you have the cutest little family! I love the updates:)
I love to hear the up dates. Your girls are so lucky to have you and Troy for parents. They are so dang cute!!
Yay for Reese! How exciting!!! I bet it's amazing to realize all the little things she can now hear that the rest of us take for granted everyday! :)
Glad to hear everything is going so well! Yay for Reese, and you guys, that is just awesome, you have a wonderful family!!
Tara, your girls are beautiful. I thought I would pop in and say hello.
Okay, I'm a dork. I was signed in under my sister's blog. It wasn't Nikki it was me.
You are so cute Tara!! I love reading the updates on Reese, it is so exciting. It is awesome how well she is doing. Also, you look so cute in the hiking pic!
Hey, So thanks for making me cry. What you said about how we all have our weaknesses in a family but we make up for eachother's weaknesses. I know how hard it is to make a big decision for your children. You are doing what's right for your family. You should really be proud of yourself as a mother. One day at a time right!
That is so wonderful to hear! What a MIRACLE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY REESE! Keep up the good work Tara! You guys are awesome parents. Love Ya!!!
I am so glad to hear how well Reese is doing! Keep up the good work. You really are one of my favorite people.
I love to read all the things Reese is doing now. I think it is amazing how well she is doing. Oh and by the way I thought you had a lot of patients when we were roomies!!
Tara-
I have looked at your blog SO many times and am always in such a hurry I don't take time to leave a comment, sorry! Your girls are simply adorable...and I loved reading about your strength and positive attitude. You have such a neat family..and I love looking at your blog. Thanks for the updates. I am so glad to hear she is doing well and making such progress! She was born to the perfect family who will make sure she gets every opportunity!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY LITTLE REESE MONKEY!!! I LOVE YOU!
tara, I dont know you but i saw you on ashley hardys page.. So i ready a little about your daughter. and wanting to teach her sign. My son has a hearing loose too we found it at birth. He is three now and totally can hear you fine. But We decided to teach him sign and i have a daughter who is 5 and she is learning it too. Its So good to teach them as well as i am learning to. But Santa brought the Signing time videos (they are expesive but well worth your money) so if your looking into it. They are teaching it in high school and junior high as a second language so its worth teaching them while they are young.
Sorry, Hope you dont mind i was reading your page.. Good luck and if you have any ?'s i might be able to help. Thanks again
Ashley W
This is a great blog. I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!
Post a Comment